Mar 28, 2011

Beginning My Novel Again



I've seen so many inspiring motivators today that have made me want to start working on my novel again. I've been saying this for awhile, but now I'm officially going to take action.

Life gets in the way, as it always does, and something has to be sacrificed. For months, unfortunately, my novel has been taking the neglect. But that’s changing, right now! I'm going to give this story the attention it deserves and I won't stop until it is finished.  

There's always the fact that I have no time and I'll get to it tomorrow. But these are excuses, quite lame excuses, which are prohibiting me from reaching my goal. I refuse to let those wasteful words stop me. Eliminated, as of now.

One of the biggest problems that I always run into is losing interest. Another story idea sparks into my brain and then that one is the next big thing which I have to pay attention to. I've been pretty good at preventing this from overtaking me during the course of my novel, so I'm not too worried about that. I still love my idea; the problem is how I write it.

This story is a difficult one igniting love and hate equally. Everything about it is uncharacteristic of a standard story - multiple perspectives, intertwining flashbacks of different time periods, switching drastically between fantasy and reality while all the while not even being able to discern completely what reality is. This knocks my balance of writing flow because it isn’t typical. But if it was typical, the story wouldn’t be as enticing.

I know that when my novel is finished, up to my expectations, and even better than the way I first envisioned it, the story will function beautifully. And I won't stop until I feel proud of myself and my very first novel.

All I have to do is overcome these problems. But with persistence, I can do it. I have to.

In order to do this, I am proclaiming to you, the world, present, past and future, and most importantly, myself, a Declaration of Novel Finishing Rules to finish this story:

  1. I will start working on my novel again, today, March 28, 2011, and will write consistently every day until it is finished.
  2. I will finish this story, no matter how long it takes, no matter how difficult it may be, no matter how much I hate it and no matter how much I want to quit. There is a good story in here; I just have to find the proper way to get it out.
  3. I will be continuously motivated by the discoveries I make, the sharp corners my plot flips me around, and the surprises my characters have in throw at me. I will adore the way my story takes me.
  4. If a day comes up where I am absolutely unable to write, I will accept that. I will not let it stop me or slow me down. Life does get in the way sometimes, but I won't let it overrule me and my dreams entire.
  5. I will NOT use the excuses "too busy" or "tomorrow" as a valid reason not to write. Even if I write for five minutes, or only 50 words, it's a little bit closer than I would have been without.
I am an aspiring fiction author, and I have the right to finish my first novel. I will work to the best of my ability to reach this goal.

Did I pound in the fact that I am determined to finish this novel enough yet?

Inspiration that helped me:

        Definitely helpful. Definitely doing, THIS WEEK!

        This sounds like me. It's so inspiring to see someone else overcoming the struggles that I've been having and it gives me hope that I too can finish my "difficult novel."

        These posts go from wanting to succeed to acting upon it. The descriptions that she uses are incredibly empowering as she discusses the feeling the desire and the necessity of dreams.



If you would like to know what my novel is about, check it out here.

If anyone would like to help keep me in check and make sure I stay true to my word, PLEASE let me know. I would love to have some help and extra motivation, if you're up for it. I can help you too! Writing Partners, anyone? Apply here or email me.


Ah, well, I guess I best go work on my novel now. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I will be checking on you, girlfriend! You go write now. Do it. Stop reading this comment and go write.

    You will be so glad when you do. To hold a finished product in your hand will be heaven. Good luck. It can be done. Especially since you set up some goals for yourself.

    I know the feeling though. I do. The "I don't want to write this novel anymore." I'm there right now. I have 80K on my WIP and I only have two chapters left to write to finish it up, and my desire is gone. I think I've hit writer's block big time. BUT I'm going to Hawaii for 10 days and then I plan to come back and hit the novel head on and write it. I mean it! That's my goal. Maybe you can keep me in check too.

    Consider yourself stalked :) You are officially in my BEST DARN BLOGS EVER file! I'll be back.
    I promise.

    Now go write!

    ~Angela Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! I've started getting reorganized and rethinking a few things with my novel to make it easier and better for myself. But I've having such issues with my main character! AH! It will come through. Just have to give it time.

    That's awesome that you only have two chapters left! Congratulations! But writer's block is not good. You'll get through it. I can keep you in check if you keep me in check. (: And we can work through our blocks together! Ah yay! Let me know if you want to work through our problems together, because I'd love to!

    And have fun in Hawaii! I'm so jealous. For some reason, I've been craving Hawaii (even though I've never been there.)


    You're in my list too!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your writing! I also buckled down this year and decided this was the year I would get it done. Are there any writer's groups in your area you could join? That helped me a lot with staying motivated.

    Also, good luck with the AtoZ Challenge, which is how I found you. I just heard about it a couple days ago and am brainstorming what I'll even write for each of those days.

    ReplyDelete