Mar 19, 2011

If I Were in Charge of the World

Read this article describing a free verse poetry activity, beginning each line with, "If I were in charge of the world," and decided to try it. The example in the article is excellent and quite inspiring for me to give it a try. She says the idea is basically to imagine the what-ifs. So I attempted. I'm not quite a poet, well not at all actually, but it was a fun exercise and an experiment.
   
              
If I Were In Charge of the World
                If I were in charge of the world, every day would have warmth, sunshine, happiness and magic. Seventy-four degree weather, with a gentle breeze and a cheerful sun would be the daily forecast.
                If I were in charge of the world, time would be irrelevant. Chores would morph into goals, and would be accomplished by will and desire rather than by deadlines.
If I were in charge of the world, we would not be limited by gravity. If you wanted to sleep in a cloud, it’s only a small step away.
                If I were in charge of the world, you could explore someone’s imagination by holding their hand, never again left in the dark to their dreams. Everything could be shared and understood.
                If I were in charge of the world, feeling full of life would be constant. No more runny noses, icky coughs and blistering fevers. No more baggy eyes, aches and pains or headaches. Relaxation, pleasure, and tranquility would be mutual for any time.
                If I were in charge of the world, all living things could understand with each other. Trees, cats, whales and even ants could comprehend exactly the right way. There would be no language barrier blocking communication.
                If I were in charge of the world, people would be able to survive financially in society off satisfaction and bliss alone. Money wouldn’t be an issue, just the need to feel happy.
                If I were in charge of the world, cars would be replaced by horses and the click clack of hooves on a cobblestone road would be as natural of a sound as a gentle rain.
If I were in charge of the world, everyone would have the will to succeed and reach the expectations they define for themselves.
                If I were in charge of the world, love would continuously blossom for all.


If you were in charge of the world, what would you do? Try this exercise and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment